Saturday, July 12, 2014

boring readme

Why am I doing this? The motives of the stock pundit are always in question. Are they (or we) using your false hopes to suck your money? I'm not charging money for this, but maybe I have some other selfish agenda. I mean, why would I want to help you?

I want to help out of some kind of humanitarian instinct. But humanitarian instincts are also questionable. There almost has to be some selfish motive behind them, so there's an implicit false claim if you claim to be doing something to help others, or at least if you claim that's your only motive. In fact, people justify evil or just plain stupid acts as being compelled upon them by humanitarian concerns ... all the time.

A kind of outrage drives me, outrage over the quality of investment advice for small investors, and, too, outrage that people think money isn't important, but behind the outrage is a kind of escapism, on my part. Longing for a perfect world. And behind that is some uncertainty about my ability to be productive, or to fit in.

So, it's all mixed motivations. I think that's just fundamental in investing, in business generally. We just have to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment