Wednesday, July 23, 2014

magic

What if writing a blog post could be a form of magic. I have had extended discussion about the idea of magic with a certain person who contends that it is nonsense. I do not mean we have discussed the idea in any kind of detail - he will occasionally acknowledge the possible validity of something I say about it, but, in the main, maintains that it is nonsense, and we never get far past that. But our conversations on the topic have occurred over a period of years, and are, in that respect, extensive. What, then, is this thing that I advocate for, and that he dismisses, "magic"?

Magic is a technology. It confers upon it's practitioner what is called "power", or that is the hypothesis. What, then, is power? It is the ability (on the part of a person? on the part of people?) to shape what we call "circumstances". Another word that applies is "outcomes".

Power could be described as the ability to do things, or to get things done, and, to the so called rationalist, this means something like force. If you can force something to happen, you have power. In contrast, to the "magician", this means something like, words. You can use words, to get things done.

Or, similarly, there is a thing called patience, or waiting. It's magic. You can get things done by waiting.

Here is an example of what I call magic. For many years I have desperately wanted to be on a certain team. But, they weren't interested. Not knowing what else to do - I did what I could - I waited, and dreamt. And then, today, I received a provisional invitation to join the team. That is what I call magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment